Monday, September 18, 2006

A.D.D boater

Went kayaking yesterday. I figured out early on that I had this weird tendency to get distracted by planes, helicopters, and birds; my head would look around, and then I'd flail wildly to regain my balance. The first time that happened, I realized the boat rental staff hadn't gone over what to do if you flip over in a kayak, and I had visions of myself drowning upside down, trapped in the kayak. Then I realized I could unsnap the plastic seat cover and survive. All was well.

Also, I didn't realize kayaks could have pedal-controlled rudders. It was actually pretty cool, except that I was numb from the knees down for the first hour before realizing what the best pedalling method was. Still, we walked like horse-weary cowboys for a while afterwards.

4 comments:

fabulous girl said...

Um, if there's something keeping you in the kayak - ie, you won't just fall out if it tips over - they should definitely have reviewed that with you before letting you out on the water.

Yes, I used to be a lifeguard.

Rainster said...

Funny thing (or not), MM from Nat'l was here yesterday, and he also went to the same place for kayaking, the day before I did. Apparently he also freaked out mid-lake about the same thing, and realized they didn't go over the "What to Do If ..." scenarios.

Torgo said...

Does this tendency to get distracted by planes, etc., happen often? You could also get hit by a bus that way. Or an e-coli spinach leaf could fly into your mouth.

Be careful.

Rainster said...

Am definitely quite the klutz.