Saturday, April 23, 2005

So cute!!!!

Awww.... how much fun is it to shop for a baby shower? And how did a half-hour turn into two? The tough part is choosing, balancing practicality with blatant frivolity. (How much $$ is too much, if the kid will outgrow clothes quickly anyway? What exactly is the cuteness factor post-diaper? Toys, clothes, or books? Stuff for the parents?)

Then, of course, there are the political issues. Deliberately not get blue or pink? Don't pander to gender stereotypes by getting clothes with imagery of flowers, sports, or transportation? Try to find organic cotton? Sweatshop-free baby clothes? Expediency always wins out in the end ... in the form of Nordstrom, of course, where I've been spending so much time since the election.

And the girls' section was at least three times as big as the boys'! Early socialization and gendered consumerism, or what? Fun, though, to look around. =)

Not that I've had a ton of baby showers to shop for, but normally I get bath books or picture books. In this case, I browsed the kiddie section at Barnes and Noble for a good 20 minutes before it dawned on me that the father-to-be in question is a manager at B&N... Not that my cheap ass was going to buy the bargain books or anything. But I feel like literacy won't be an issue for this kid. Likewise, I usually go out of my way to try and get multicultural/happy tolerance books for kids. Again, this won't be an issue. MF, maybe, at some point.

And in other good news, I found the elusive bottle of Escape.

1 comment:

fabulous girl said...

It's the champagne that turns it into a two hour event, honey.