Friday, June 24, 2005

Is this what the Third Wave has come to?

So The Feminine Mystique is considered outdated, and feminism has evolved to a postmodern state. Nevertheless, "Cater 2 U" by Destiny's Child takes the radical notion of gender equality back several decades. Reminiscent of "Wives and Lovers", there's no indication of any reciprocity in the lyrics' slavish tendencies (cuz otherwise, I'd be fine with it)!

And I was such a fan of "Independent Women"! I realize that the market can change artists' ideologies and identities (witness the brilliant chameleon-like qualities of Eminem and Madonna), but that's slightly offensive! And the hidden sociologist in me is wondering what larger cultural shift in gender perceptions enabled such a lyrical backlash.

2 comments:

Micaela said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Micaela said...

Thanks dude. I'm totally
leaching off your intellect.