Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The morning after

The day after the 2000 election, I stumbled into the kitchen to make coffee. CNN had called Florida for Gore the previous night, and my roommates and I all went to bed content. The next morning, The Common Man, one of said roomies, was camped out in front of the TV in the living room, but I didn't think anything was amiss until he yelled "B! B, you gotta see this! This is history!" Two months later, I attended my first political protest, on the gray, rainy streets of DC.

The day after the 2004 election, I was extremely hungover. After work, the FG and I parted ways in the downtown shopping area. I acquired a Nordstrom card and bought these shoes, along with many other depression-induced purchases. I don't know why I kept this pair of Ponies all these years, even after holes in the soles made them impossible to wear in the Northwest rain. Now, finally, I'm tossing them in the trash.

Today, I can't wipe the grin off my face as I'm looking at election coverage from around the world. And it just occurred to me that people I've spent Election Nights with in the past decade are all people with whom I'm still in touch.

Stuff that's moved me to tears in the past 18 hours:
  • Trivial Kate's Facebook post, saying she sang "The Star-Spangled Banner" with 4000 other people in the streets of her old neighborhood last night.

  • President-elect Obama's victory speech. Twice, three hours apart.

  • The nonstop car horns, cheers, and impromptu street partying in my hometown last night (as well as across the country).

  • This BBC video.

  • Torgo's wife's Facebook post saying maybe their little boys can be President one day.

  • This photo from The Stranger.

  • Another friend's Facebook status, saying he voted for change, hope, and his son's future.

  • And lastly... the fact that, for the first time ever, everyone in my immediate family voted for the same presidential candidate. La Madre and La Otra Hermana, to my delight and shock, voted the same way as me and Mi Hermana.
Hey Mikey! This is history...

2 comments:

UW Nutrition said...

Oh wow. Me too. I just watched a video of the Capitol Hill party - someone was playing Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" and tons of people were dancing and singing.

And at the gym today I was watching CNN's recap of Obama's speech. Crying on the elliptical is neither pretty nor good for breathing.

The Common Man said...

First of all, isn't it wonderful to see history? To see the world change in front of you and recognize that change as something special?

Second, as American Studies majors, wasn't it our solemn duty to be stapled to the couch that morning? For the first time in the television era (perhaps ever) on the day after the election, no one had any idea who was going to be President. And this whole last 8 years was Florida's fault. The Common Man never forgets! You'll get yours Sunshine State!

Finally, The Common Man thinks you must be misremembering. After all, there was not nearly enough cursing in the quote you provided, given a) the situation, b) The Common Man was in college, and c) probably still had a good amount of alcohol still coursing through his veins and liver. Was The Common Man wearing pants at the time?

Yay history!