Monday, February 21, 2011

Easy wind and downy flake

2011 might be my sportiest year yet, if the past few weeks and upcoming plans are any indication.

The first weekend of the New Year, I went snowshoeing for the first time. (And in the process of renting snowshoes at REI, I discovered it was way cheaper to finally become an REI member. As a native Seattleite, perhaps it was destiny. At any rate, because the outdoor activities I've played all my life generally involve cleats, balls, or bats, I've always felt a little out of place in outdoorsy-themed stores. Maybe I can remedy that.)

I was expecting the appropriate gear to look like the tennis racquet-like items that Grandma has displayed in her basement den.

However, much to my delighted surprise, snowshoes actually look pretty sleek these days. Who knew? Clearly not me - somewhere in the back of my brain, I obviously thought they wouldn't have changed in centuries.

At any rate, it's always very cool to try something new and learn that you like doing it.

Snowshoeing is fun!

This weekend marked my second-ever snowshoe trip. The trail wasn't as challenging as the first, but there were great views. If Mt. Rainier had only been out, the view would have been even more spectacular.

For half the hike, though, I had "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening" echoing in my head.

No comments: