Saturday, April 16, 2011

When you know the notes to sing

I watched High School Musical a few days ago.

And I liked it.

There. I've said it.

It was nothing close to what I was expecting. Netflix kept suggesting it because I like Glee, but there's really no comparison. I was expecting High School Musical to be another variant of the same old plot: unexpectedly good singer lands starring role in production, finds love, shows up rivals.

Instead, it was a cheesy but cute story about kids in high school being unfairly constricted by stereotypes: the jocks, the nerds, the stoners, the drama kids. In fact, the title's musical is never actually performed - the tryouts are the endgame, not the production itself.

The acting is bad and overdone (it's a made-for-TV Disney movie, after all), the songs aren't all that memorable, and I can't relate to these young 'un pop stars (though my niece watches the Disney Channel all the time). But I thought it was a cute story with a healthy message that trying new things, taking risks, and not conforming to what is expected of you can all be liberating.

No comments: