Friday, April 28, 2006

Rightside Up

I rarely truly hate movies. I dislike a few, I don't understand some, and I find a handful too boring or basic. But otherwise, I like most movies, even after over-analyzing them.

I hated Sideways.

I finished it a few days ago, but it took me three sittings and several days. First of all, the wine metaphor was waaaay overdone. (Besides, the two main characters didn't age well; they were childish, overgrown, immature, middle-aged men.) The time reminders were likewise overdone (the text flashing the days of the week got annoying after a while). There was no real character development; there was just character revelation, and none of it very good. The protagonists were barely likeable.

I laughed once: when the naked guy runs out of the house and chases the car. I think I laughed because it was unexpected and absurd.

So yesterday I re-watched I Heart Huckabees. Now there's a movie I love. . .

3 comments:

Torgo said...

I didn't think Sideways was that bad. Yeah, it was talked about as if it was the most brilliant film since the Care Bears movie, but there were things I liked. I thought the two guys acted like two guys. The criticisms you point out (childish, etc.) are accurate, but I think that's how a lot of middle age men are, particularly when they're around each other.

But, I agree, the wine metaphor was pushed too far.

Rainster said...

Hmmm, maybe I haven't been around that many middle-aged men.

The Care Bears movie was brilliant? Wait, there was a Care Bears movie????

Torgo said...

Ok, I didn't see the Care Bears movie. But there was one. I did see the He-Man movie, the live-action one with Dolph Lundgren. I saw that in the theater. Oh, geez, I wish I could have those 2 hours back.