Saturday, June 16, 2007

Anchors Aweigh, Away

There'll be time enough for reading in grad school. For now, I'm enjoying my Netflix subscription while I still have time and income....

Dear Frankie was a cute story. A sad one. It's the story of a boy whose father left him and his mother, but his mom tells him his dad's on a boat that's travelling the world. The kid writes his dad letters, and the mom answers them by pretending to be the nonexistent dad. Unfortunately for the mom, the boat name she made up exists, and the actual boat comes to port. So she finds a total stranger to pretend to be Frankie's dad while the ship is in town.

I also really liked it because it didn't try to be a romance between the mom and the stranger. It was a story about the kid and his mom. It ended realistically. Everything wasn't spelled out; I appreciate films that don't wrap up everything neatly.

And, it turns out, the guy who played the stranger was also Leonidas in 300. So I immediately got "Spartans! Spartans!" stuck in my head in New Zealand accents, which reminded me that I haven't seen or heard from my sister since the day after the wedding.

No comments: