Friday, June 08, 2007

Show Me!

Oh, community theatre! Even if it's a fictional production in a fictional town in Missouri.

Watched Waiting for Guffman last night. It's only the second Christopher Guest film I've seen. A Mighty Wind was the first and I think I liked it better, although they're both good. I know the formula is the same for many of his movies: mockumentary/improv leading up to a big public show, hilarity along the way.

Where I laughed nonstop at A Mighty Wind because of the folk music connection, I laughed from a once-removed vantage point at Waiting for Guffman. It brought back long and necessarily-buried memories of watching friends and family perform in school and community plays, of writing one play for a high school performance, of the teen poetry/spoken word scene, of anything performance-related. Gaaaack!

3 comments:

Torgo said...

A Mighty Wind might be most suited to your tastes, but I think Spinal Tap is his best movie.

Rainster said...

That's somewhere in my queue too!

Xtina said...

i never saw spinal tap (will add it to queue), but i've seen waiting for guffman, a mighty wind and best in show, and of those three, i liked best in show, um, best. and i have no connection to dog shows.