Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Emperors and Chinstraps

So stodgy old Penguin, the publishing giant, must be trying to hipsterize itself.

A well-known comic artist (or so a quick Google search shows, since I know nothing of comic art) has drawn the cover art for Penguin's new release of Candide, one of my favorite books. And I can't find an online image large enough to read the comic! Savvy web marketing, Penguin people! How will I know to buy it if I can't read the cover? How will I know if I approve of graphic art gracing the cover of great classics? I do, of course, but am just curious as hell... =)

Also from Penguin, The Elements of Style is now illustrated, putting a new twist on Language Arts teachers' mantra of "Show vs Tell! Show vs Tell! Show vs Tell!" It's also been made into a song, apparently. Part of me appreciates such a statement about communication and the melding of the visual, language, and performing arts. The other part of me wants to forget I was given three copies of the Strunk and White classic before the age of 16.


4 comments:

UW Nutrition said...

Cool! Chris Ware also has a series in the new NYT Magazine feature--the Funny Pages.
http://www.nytimes.com/ref/magazine/funnypages.html

(Someone needs to teach me how to imbed links in the comments.)

Anonymous said...

Text for the link

Looks like: Text for the link

Anonymous said...

Dammit, no preview this time....


<a href="http://www.yourlinkhere.com">Text for the link</a>

Looks like: Text for the link

Rainster said...

Thanks, Colin! (Kate and I also owe for Friendster....)