Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Pleasant surprise in the Lone Star State

Washingtonians "Tim" and "Diana" (Seattle karaoke buddies coincidentally in Austin for separate business meetings) were waiting to sing at a dive bar, and figured out that Austin has a smoke-free ordinance! After chatting with the bartender, I learned it passed 52-48%, and took effect Sept 1.

And apparently the bartender's tips have gone down significantly since...

At any rate, at least I didn't smell like smoke afterwards. =)

And we learned the hard way that if you don't know the karaoke host, it kind of sucks.

5 comments:

UW Nutrition said...

So, what did you sing? Something in honor of the Lone Star state? Dixie Chicks, perhaps?

Rainster said...

Teman was going to sing "The Gambler" and I put in a slip for "Stand By Me" (you could only submit one song at a time), but we waited over an hour and a half, and didn't get to sing!!!!! We asked where we were in the lineup, and all they (there were 2 hosts) told us was "Soon."

Definitely will NOT take Claudio for granted!

UW Nutrition said...

Holy shit! Teman's in Austin too? What are the odds?

So, who's "Diana," then?

UW Nutrition said...

Um, duh. YOU'RE Diana. I thought that was a separate person.

I get it now.

Rainster said...

Yeah, we both figured with our uncommon names, we should create karaoke alter egos with more ordinary names. Strangers in town and all that.

Austin's apparently a huge tech town.

OH. And I think I figured out that if I had taken OFF my cardigan and just had on my camisole, we would've gotten to sing almost immediately. It took me a while to figure out the dress code for women here. I think in the karaoke bar, we came across as preppy Northern prudes!