Sunday, May 07, 2006

Inside the Beehive

Utah is beautiful, with all the mountains, even if the altitude is taking me by surprise and I'm fatigued and huffing and puffing around.

First interaction with a local was the shuttle van driver, who didn't know how deep Salt Lake City was, or what the population was, but decided to share this extremely inaccurate and wrong-on-so-many-levels tidbit: "You know, the Mormons aren't the majority here any more. It's the Orientals."

That comment was followed by extremely awkward silence for a very long time. I might not have Census statistics for Salt Lake City memorized, but I think it's safe to say that Asians are not at least 51% of the city, and that race and ethnicity don't necessarily determine the religious makeup of a community.

Not a good first impression! So I'll admit when I ventured out to the mall today, I was anticipating any stares I'd encounter or comments I'd get. I saw no Asians, btw. But if strolling around a public space is any indication, there is a sizeable Latino population. (And I'm sure some of them are Mormon.)

Back to huffing and puffing around.

1 comment:

Torgo said...

The driver may have been referring to rugs. I believe Utah is big into Orientals, whereas Wyoming prefers Afghans. Nevada is all hard-wood.

That's my theory.