Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Last impressions trump the first one

Four years in Maine, never saw a moose. Four days in Utah, saw three. Maybe it was the altitude affecting me, but at first I thought they were just horses (the 2 males had shed their antlers). But then bus drivers don't stop driving, grab their own (randomly hidden) cameras, and take pictures of horses. Plus when they turned to look at the bus, their large noses gave them away as moose. City mouse that I am, it was very exciting.

Can recommend a good pub, which serves environmentally-friendly, organic, non-GMO, hormone-free meals. It's too bad I discovered them in the airport terminal, after realizing I wouldn't be fed on the flight home. But, if I'm ever in the Beehive State again, I'll be sure to go the one in town, not the airport.

It's a fascinating state that seems caught between its history as Mormonland and its huge tourism industry. If I have time between cramming for Spanish conversations and brainstorming for anti-I-946 activities, I might read up on Utah.

Another cool brewery: Wasatch. They make an Evolution Amber Ale , a Polygamy Porter, and a 1st Amendment Lager (which was apparently named to protest a tax, not in celebration of religious freedom or freedom of assembly...)

And Salt Lake City has a really, really cool mayor.

2 comments:

Torgo said...

That mayor does seem great, based on the Wikipedia entry. Also, in researching Utah as the beehive state (I don't know why, that just seemed odd to me), I discovered that their state bird is the California Seagull. That's definitely odd as, in my understanding, Utah is neither on the sea nor is it California.

So while the myth of absolute Mormon over Salt Lake City is seemingly dispelled by the mayor, new myths about the birds and the bees emerge.

Rainster said...

Y'all can stop by Salt Lake City on your way to San Fran, if you want (incidentally, SF has a good mayor, too).