Monday, November 27, 2006

Confession: I rigged the music charts...

Continuing the post-turkey veg-out, I finally watched A Mighty Wind. I have no idea how I managed to not see it before, seeing as how it's about folk music. And wow, there are some good songs featured by the fake folk groups. The faux-documentary itself is funny too, especially since you can kind of make parallels between real-life '60s folk singers and the film's fake ones. But mainly I liked listening to the songs.

Which reminds me of the incredible folk-related guilt I've been carrying for several years: I pseudo-rigged the folk charts at WMHB by recommending only the political, call-to-arms songs for airplay. Or ones that told cool stories. Not that everybody went with the recommendations, but a surprising number did.

Yesterday, after building-hopping home in an attempt to escape the snow and the cold, I also watched another Colin Firth movie. Of course, it was also a Kevin Bacon movie, and it was pretty bad. I've seen worse. It was supposed to be a noir-esque murder mystery. But I think it was just a vehicle for as many people as possible to get naked onscreen. Plus I figured out the murderer early on. And Alison Lohman got on my nerves. And Colin Firth can do better.

I think this is more movies than I've watched in the past couple of months...

3 comments:

Torgo said...

I guess, as the former GM of MHB, I'm supposed to be upset at your rigging of the folk charts. But before I was GM, I was the music director, and I did much the same with the rock charts. There, though, it seemed to be an integrated part of the industry, as most of my time on the phone with record labels and promoters was spent with them lobbying for higher chart positions.

I also got sent free stuff when I made people happy, though I don't remember charting anyone for the free stuff, just charting artists I liked highly then being happy to get free stuff.

I don't think the folk labels were that generous with the merchandise.

Rainster said...

Based on the folk charts, some labels *may* have gotten the impression that Mayflower Hill was a hotter bed of radicalism that it actually was...

And we definitely did not get free stuff from folk labels! Except for the occasional extra CD, but those were mainly from the larger labels that happened to have a folk line.

Xtina said...

i got TONS of free gospel stuff.

my favorite part of a mighty wind was when the little bald guy was obsessing about the set and the other guy whapped him on top of his little bald head.