Sunday, January 07, 2007

Foot in Mouth, new and improved in 2007!

My other sister announced today that she will be getting married in 5 months. To a guy she's been dating for 5 months. Which may or may not be the issue. Except that this sister still lives at home, has never paid rent or utilies or for groceries, just recently started paying Mom back for her car and car insurance and Master's tuition, and started her first real job four months ago. (And Mom made the other sister wait at least a year between the engagement and wedding...)

I was doing the NYT crossword in the kitchen, like I do every Sunday early afternoon at my mom's house, when she got home from church and asked me to guess her surprise. I thought she might have a new scarf, but instead she held up the ring on her hand. I said "That's not funny," and went back to my crossword. She gasped and told me congratulations were in order. I looked over again and said "You're kidding, right? It's not funny."

Turns out she wasn't kidding. Oops.

No comments: