Sunday, January 21, 2007

Shiver me timbers!

On my lists of "Firsts in 2006" I left out the minor eye surgery that required an eye patch for two hours. I only just now remembered because I finally watched both Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

Neither was really dazzling. The first was a vaguely fun, in a modern and ghoulish Treasure Island sort of way. Johnny Depp was great. Orlando Bloom wasn't.

The second movie was just crap. It's clearly only a transition vehicle for the third movie: nothing is resolved in the end. I appreciated that all the old characters from the first film were in it, but the flashing "To be continued..." message was the only thing missing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i fell asleep during the second one.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the first one was fun in a 'this is a lousy movie but at least Johnny Depp seems to be having a great time' sort of way.

The Orlando Bloom episode of Extras is funny, in part, b/c he's so bad compared to Depp.

Rainster said...

Was it just me, or was the music a rip-off of Gladiator?