Friday, September 08, 2006

"Dude, pick up a rock and throw it"

I guess I'm not a real Seattleite; I can't relate to some of the key "Where Were You?" stories from the Emerald City. I missed the grunge scene because I spent most of my teenage years in the library. I missed the Big One because I was in Maine interviewing for MassPIRG. And I missed the WTO riots because I was in Scotland following Sergio Garcia around.

But that's all okay. I make up for missing music trends by listening to techno and bad pop hits. I'll probably make the next earthquake. And within a few years, I'll be able to watch the WTO happenings from the homeland on the silver screen:
Lights! Camera! Tear gas! WTO riots to be a movie
Charlize Theron will play a pregnant bystander who loses her baby in Seattle's WTO riots. Susan Sarandon may take the part of a newscaster sympathetic to the protesters. ...

Former Mayor Paul Schell just hopes the movie re-enacting one of the worst chapters of his political life tells "the whole story about the 21st-century Boston Tea Party." ...

Mary Aloe, one of the film's producers, said "Battle in Seattle" will be an independent film with a budget under $10 million. The crew may spend a week shooting in Seattle, Aloe said, and Townsend hopes to use real WTO protesters as extras.

Aloe compared it to last year's Oscar-winning "Crash," in that the script will weave together the stories of an ensemble cast while dealing with serious issues.

I wonder if they'll mention the fact that the police set up a free-speech-smothering "No-Protest Zone."


2 comments:

Torgo said...

What a strange idea for a movie. On the one hand, it's cool that the riots will be remembered in film. On the other hand, a pregnant bystander who loses her baby in the riots?

Also, I think if you can correctly spell Seattleite, you deserve to be one.

Rainster said...

I wonder how that will work... maybe she falls and gets clubbed or kicked by Officer Friendly in SWAT getup.

Even more disturbing is that anyone thinks the mayor was Redford-esque.