Saturday, September 16, 2006

Hips Don't Lie

Saw an excellent bluegrass band last night, and will probably be seeing them again tonight. Their lyrics are clever, and so were their transition dialogues onstage. Of course, as an Austin-based band, they had to dedicate a song to their former Governor: "I Don't Like the Look on Your Face." The Meat Purveyors' beats also inspired immediate toe-tapping, foot-stomping, and shoulder-bopping. Except for their covers of Madonna and Elvis, which took some people in the audience a few lines to recognize. Brilliance.

Ahem. I mention the Meat Purveyors only to redeem myself because I am currently listening to brotha Enrique. I swear, most of his songs just have a good hip-swaying beat. The melodies are predictable, the lyrics unabashedly cheesy. But the hips can't stop!!! It makes the chores I've ignored for days all the more fun. I mean, my floor is clean enough now to dance across. . . . I just won't slip, sail across the kitchen, and hit my chin on the stove like I did once when living in Worcester, also while listening to Enrique.

No comments: