Saturday, September 02, 2006

When You're Good to Mama

Listening to the Chicago soundtrack while cleaning and doing household chores, and I just realized there's a possible anachronism, depending on whether or not the film takes place in a specific year.
Come on, babe / We're gonna brush the sky
I bet you lucky Lindy / Never flew so high
'Cause in the stratosphere / How could he lend an ear
to all that Jazz?
Lindbergh made his famous transatlantic flight in mid-1927 (and afterwards, of course, the Lindy Hop became the dance craze of '27.) Anyways, that only leaves less than 2 and a half years for the Chicago storyline to take place. Not that it necessarily matters. I'm just particularly nitpicky about things like that. Since I don't own the movie, I don't know if it flashes "Chicago, the 1920s" or "Chicago, the Roaring Twenties" (as a rule, I hate generalizations like that but tend to excuse them if it's the '20s unless they reference something specific). Oh well. It's still an amazing film and soundtrack.

On another tangent, the post-'20s obsession with the '20s is a field in and of itself. Since I devoted a year of my life to studying the '20s, I also love cultural pats on the back like Chicago and Singin' in the Rain.

No comments: