Friday, February 02, 2007

Fleming, in a lab, with mold

2007 has been interesting so far.

Found out the hard way this week that I am allergic to penicillin. Which really, really sucks. For now, at least. In a week I should be okay. But for the immediate future, am armed with an inhaler and other necessary treatments, and knowledge of how to get to the closest ER in case the symptoms get worse.

It was kind of funny watching my family doctor, who's known me for a while, frantically flip through my chart and exclaim "How did we not know this???!!!" But I guess in 17 years, she's never prescribed it for me. La Madre confirms I never took it for anything before that. And I guess they didn't at the hospital when I had e coli, either.

7 comments:

Torgo said...

It's really impressive that you've come this far without penicillin. Meanwhile, most people are concerned about building up immunity to it b/c it was overprescribed to children with ear infections.

Rainster said...

Yeah, my doc was like "You never took it for ear infections?" Never had an ear infection, so no.

Wait, aren't you allergic too? Someone in college was....

Torgo said...

I'm allergic to ibuprofen. I think a lot of people are allergic to penicillin, though. I think it's fairly common. Though I might be making that up.

Rainster said...

I knew someone I knew was allergic to some drug....

Yeah, I think it might be pretty common.

Katie said...

You're right. Penicillin allergies are really common. I agree with Torgo, I can't believe you didn't know before now! I'm glad you are OK and am just barely managing not to list all of the bacteria that you should now more stringently avoid due to your newly discovered allergy.

Anonymous said...

dude, you had e coli?

Rainster said...

Right after graduation, before I moved to Boston. Not cool.

I did, however, use the WA Dept of Health's hounding me across the country as an excuse to get out of a few PIRG evening meetings. =)