Monday, February 19, 2007

Out of dollar bills now

After a dry spell of no karaoke for two weeks, we finally went to an old place on a new night, thinking that maybe the hipsters and the frat boys wouldn't be there. Shouldn't have assumed!

But that wasn't the worst of it. The worst of it was that the host had the people who tipped the most sing first. Per song! And he didn't even announce that this was the policy (although after three hours, a badly written sign went up announcing the rule.) Having been to a lot of karaoke places around the city, this is *not* standard practice. Most hosts have rotations that they stick to, and patrons tip discreetly. This dude checked how much we tipped, then placed us accordingly. And he sucked as a karaoke host (he sang along! Who does that?) I think that was a record for shortest karaoke stint ever for us. I, for one, refused to stay too long for this ridiculous pay-per-song practice.

Cuz really, that J-Lo song wasn't worth paying to sing...

6 comments:

Xtina said...

wait, how much you tipped HIM? i didn't even know you tipped karaoke people.

Rainster said...

If they're cool, you do. At the end of the evening! Or before/after your song. Not *in order to sing*!

Still ticked about that....

The Common Man said...

Not cool. Definitely not cool. What song were you itching to sing? My specialty is the Divinyls' "I Touch Myself." "Sexual Healing" also goes over well. Get enough Jack Daniels in me and I'll sing anything.

Rainster said...

The former was played at your wedding, I recall. ;-P

I have to be relatively sober to sing -- usually start with "Stand By Me" or "Walking in Memphis," then move on to anything I know well enough. Depends on the song list!

Anonymous said...

Walking in Memphis? Wow, I mean, I can see it, sure, but it's not exactly a good times song, is it?

Xtina said...

i used to think that song said "walking with my feets and feet off a beer"