Sunday, March 26, 2006

Bling

Latest music ripped from the library: Kanye West's Late Registration. The most recognizable song, of course, is "Gold Digger," which is really catchy and danceable, if rather misogynistic. However, it's the worst song on the album!

After I scanned the title lists, my eyes naturally fell on "Diamonds From Sierra Leone," which I suspected might have fist-raising lyrics, and sure enough, turns out it's about conflict diamonds. "Heard 'Em Say," "My Way Home," and "Roses" all also surprised me with their political content. And "Hey Mama" is just really sweet. I guess I wasn't expecting any of that from an album that did so well in the mainstream.

So now those are all interspersed with the Blue Scholars in my 'hood playlist.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you please make me some playlists!? You are so organized and obviously have tons of stuff and my new ipod is sitting abandoned on my desk awaiting time to really put my music on it...it's fine for now as I have a "don't listen while on the bus or walking around policy" but soon I'm going to have to take a couple of flights...!!

Torgo said...

Kanye West is good. I haven't heard all of either album, but he's political enough to be worth listening to, or musically good enough to listen to, depending on your priorities (I'll admit to listening to some bad music just b/c I like the politics).

Xtina said...

from what i've heard he has (some) good theology too.

Micaela said...

good call, lady. I just started listening to my blue scholars mp3's. I wanna be part of the Blue Scholars loving club!

Rainster said...

I keep waiting for the Blue Scholars to play in Seattle somewhere, but they haven't in a while!

Torgo -- politics come first! Unless it's cheesy pop or dance music. In which case, bad music is fine.