Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Blood Money

Went to a free advance screening of Inside Man today. Once again, I had a vague idea that it was about a bank robbery, and that was it.

(They were doing bag searches at the theatre, and my sister and I, with our Chief Sealth selves, thought it was slightly offensive to do a weapons search at a film screening. And then when someone I knew had to dump her cell phone in her car because it had sound recording capabilities, we realized they were looking for recording devices, not guns. Damn, Delridge is in our blood!)

Predictably, I liked the movie. (Lately, I don't seem to dislike many movies.) For a while, I approached it from this standpoint where the bank represented America post-9/11 and everyone was a suspect. And then I thought it might be a visual treatise on the nature of capitalism. Not that those two interpretations are mutually exclusive....

2 comments:

Torgo said...

This was directed by Spike Lee, but not a Spike Lee Joint, right? I would expect some level of social awareness from him, which makes it look more interesting than your average bank robbery movie.

Rainster said...

It was a Spike Lee Joint, because I wondered what that was when if flashed on the screen. What's the difference?