Sunday, October 01, 2006

"You, sir, are a fishmonger!"

Xtina's post reminded me that I've been using my George Foreman grill a lot lately. It's really easy --get home really late, plug it in, take off coat and shoes, put slab of fish and a few vegetables on, empty out purse, flip over the food, turn the TV on, grab a plate, take food off GF. It's quick and easy.

I figured out that fish is pretty inexpensive, not to mention healthy. And it's fun buying different kinds of fish every other day.

The problem is, my apartment has smelled like fish for almost a week now. I can't quite figure out why. I last "cooked" fish Monday, and it's been almost a week. The cable guys came over to install something, and opening all the windows and doors didn't get rid of the fish market feel. Neither did spritzing perfume strategically in corners. Oh well. I get used to it after a while.

7 comments:

Xtina said...

do you buy your fish fresh? or frozen? what kind? i'm always looking for cheap meat...(that sounded dirtier than i meant it to)

Rainster said...

At the grocery store, in the butcher's section. NOT frozen or previously frozen!

Colin said...

Quickly frozen wild salmon is much, much better than fresh farmed salmon... just so ya know. :)

Torgo said...

Yeah, I think fish frozen and kept frozen is best. Not frozen fish may have been frozen and thawed (and frozen and thawed and frozen and thawed).

Also, there was an article in the current Nat'l Geographic about toxins in the environment. The writer got tested for mercury, then ate two meals of fish (swordfish was one, the other was also a large fish) consecutively, got retested, and his mercury had doubled. The doctor told him to not try that again.

That's just to dampen your enthusiasm.

Rainster said...

*Sigh* I do usually try to get wild-caught. That day was particularly hectic, and I honestly don't know whether or not the salmon was farmed.

Rainster said...

Oh, and um, Xtina... is there decent "cheap meat" in Chicago? Not that I would move there or anything if there were... ;-)

Colin said...

I know... I just like to harangue you. :)

Incidentally, this is a really cool resource for learning about which fish are considered OK to eat and which should be avoided (and why).