Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Again, I hate to blog about work, but ...

The domestic partnership bill just passed in the state House, 63-35. After a floor debate that lasted over an hour. (Which is short compared to others, but long considering that the bill they passed right before took two minutes.) And of course, it had to be brought to the floor at 4:55pm, right when I was ready to go home. And opponents offered amendment after amendment that had to be voted on (and down, luckily). Their strategy, I think, was to starve and wear out the majority party until past dinner (which, sadly, they've done before). But to the majority caucus leaders' credit, I think they must have ordered the pro side comments to a minimum. Very effective. But still, it meant I couldn't leave my desk until the whole thing ended.

And I cried, of course, upon final passage. Whether from happiness, hunger, thirst, irritation, or mind-numbedness, I'll never know. I'm just really confused about where the airplane bottle of rum I had in my office desk went... or maybe I drank it after, um, the REAL ID bill passed. Or Lobby Day. Or other drink-worthy work-related event. At any rate, I will be celebrating with my economics homework in some bar later tonight...

Effective 90 days after the end of the session, which is April 22 (so ... July? I'm bad with the math).

3 comments:

Torgo said...

And you're going to leave all this behind for grad school?

Alas, Boston is an apolitical, completely dry town.

You'd better bring petitions and liquor.

Xtina said...

we are also a spiritual wasteland, or so i've been told.

we do, however, have gangs.

Rainster said...

So... I can... join one?