Thursday, September 27, 2007

Tick tock, tick tock

One sister is due any day now. La Madre is uninterested in the birth process, having gone through it three times. She's just interested in the baby. (Yet strangely, she didn't want to know the gender so we've all had to watch our pronouns around her.) So she won't fly out to Michigan until her first grandchild is actually born. I kept trying to urge her to fly out beforehand, to be supportive (especially since she has something like 6 weeks' vacation time saved up), but she keeps giving dramatic and exasperated sighs and saying "Why? Why? Why would I fly out there if there's no baby?" So she has her bag packed, ready to go at a moment's notice.

The other pregnant sister (only 4 months along) was at La Madre's house this evening, when I called to double-check my pediatric immunization records so the University doesn't make me get painful shots I've already had. Apparently La Madre heard the phone ring, and RAN from the other side of the room, screaming "The baby! The baby! It's the baby!" But it wasn't, it was just me. And I was told in no uncertain terms that I only had a few minutes to explain my vaccination documentation verification problem, because The Call might come from Ann Arbor any minute.

As the eldest grandchild on one side, I can state with some experience that this will be one spoiled granddaughter. =) And this one's the first on both sides!

No comments: