Tuesday, January 31, 2006

As I Walked Out One Evening

I now have a new favorite movie. (I still love I Heart Huckabees and The Matrix, of course). Before Sunrise quotes one of my favorite W.H. Auden poems, so how can I not love it? Even if only two stanzas:

But all the clocks in the city
Began to whirr and chime:
'O let not Time deceive you,
You cannot conquer Time. ...

'In headaches and in worry
Vaguely life leaks away,
And Time will have his fancy
To-morrow or to-day.

There's a scene where Jesse and Celine are talking about God, and Celine says something to the effect of God existing in the space between two people talking and getting to know each other. That appeals to me.

I thought I could watch the film in the background while balancing my checkbook and doing laundry, but I found myself drawn into it. Seriously, I like it so much I can't even begin to critique the plot or character development. Basically the film is about life and existence and love and philosophy, and I'm a sucker for all that. But more than anything, the two characters are so young and idealistic and complex and real. It's their authenticity and honesty that is so compelling. I can normally find something --anything-- to critique, but I can't here. Wow.

Waiting for the sequel to arrive.

4 comments:

Torgo said...

I didn't see the movie, but I like the poem. It made me think of this one by Emily Dickinson:

It struck me - every Day -
The Lightning was as new
As if the Cloud that instant slit
And let the Fire through-

It burned Me - in the Night -
It Blistered to My Dream -
It sickened fresh upon my sight -
With every Morn that came -

I thought that Storm - was brief -
The Maddest - quickest by -
But Nature lost the Date of This -
And left it in the Sky -

Mostly for that last stanza about Nature losing the date and leaving the storm in the sky. I dig poems about time.

Rainster said...

I've always been weirdly obsessed with poems about Time (always the capital T). I think that's the innate history nerd in me.

See the movie. M-N, you'd like it too!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Comeprima said...

oh... with your comment below and this post I feel absolutely the same way. I've also got to love his poem by before sunrise, and so happy i think it seems to find someone like me :)