Thursday, January 19, 2006

Junkie

It's official, I'm addicted to TV. While on the floor, dying from going to the gym, I managed to grab the remote control. You've Got Mail was on; I saw it when it first came out and didn't like the end. Most of it was cute, but what grated on my nerves (aside from Meg Ryan) was the fact that, in an anonymous flirty penpal relationship, the male is the one to learn the female's identity and so has a mental advantage., and then starts to play mean mind games. It's based on The Shop Around the Corner, which I saw back in high school. (And incidentally, Meg Ryan's bookstore in YGM is call TSATC...) But even as a teenager (who would later write a letter of complaint to the West Seattle Big 5 for having sexist display sections), the original Jimmy Stewart film ticked me off for the same reason --the guy has the edge all the way! What is up with that??!!

But then it is a film about the art of writing, independent stores vs big corporate chains, public personas vs private personalities, and books. All of which are themes I love. That's why I couldn't get up off the floor, and watched the whole thing again. Although I did manage to crawl to the leftover box of Christmas choocolates....

No comments: