Sunday, January 01, 2006

Should auld acquaintance be forgot...

Warm fuzzies... received 9 text messages in an hour and a half, from different friends saying "Happy New Year." Sent 8 myself. Met cool new peeps at a house party and street corner.



I usually cheesily reflect on the past year -- and in going over 2005, there were a surprising number of firsts for me, for better or worse:

  • Becoming a JACL board member -- I remain incredibly proud and humbled to be part of this organization, which always does the right thing. JACLers are good people who understand what community means. Looking forward to continuing the work in 2006 with good friends.
  • Going to the batting cages -- even though I played softball in high school, we never took a field trip.
  • Visiting LA -- and getting sunburned in through a windshield, stuck in traffic for 3 hours.
  • Having the first of my friends have a baby -- and, six months later, getting the cutest Christmas card with a smiling baby on the front.
  • Karaoke -- yup, 2005 saw me go solo for the first time (previously sang exclusively in groups).
  • Visiting Austin and getting no sleep because the motel had 1) crazy, sketchy occupants who were really loud at all hours; and 2) HBO.
  • Learning uber-basics of HTML --supposedly for designing action webpages at work, but it comes in handy for blogging too!
  • Dressing up for Halloween, however badly -- being the shepherd for a middle school church social doesn't count!
  • Experiencing an election without volunteering for a campaign -- I have no idea how this happened, but it did and it's weird but oddly liberating.
  • Buying a NorthFace coat -- yes, it's the Colby uniform and yes, it's selling out. But damn, it's warm! And waterproof.

Not that other years haven't had a collection of new activities or experiences. (After all, isn't that what life is?) But I think it's still good to reflect. For auld lang syne, my dear...

No comments: