Thursday, January 26, 2006

Monolingual Sadness

Lost in Translation was the first video to arrive from Netflix, and I finally got around to watching it.

Why did everybody think I would like this movie? I didn't. It was boring and slow-moving. What exactly was the plot? Two jetlagged people stay at a hotel, meet over drinks, see the nightlife, eat sushi, then leave. How is that a plot? It happens all the time to travellers. You meet cool people in places like hotel bars, hostels, etc. Sometimes those people are the types you would've have ever met or hung out with otherwise. You have fun with them. You get to know them. Sometimes you hook up with them. Sometimes not. And you're all either jetlagged or tired or touristed-out.

I just kept wondering what the point of the movie was, and when something would happen that would move the story along. But there was no story.

Maybe I really do have ADHD.

4 comments:

Colin said...

Plot isn't necessarily the only thing that one can look for in a movie. There are a lot of (I think) very good movies that are more character sketches or a portrayal of a period of time rather than a truly plot driven story with an introduction, conflict and resolution. I feel like movies that aren't totally plot-based tend to be better reflections on reality and real life. Of course, that doesn't necessarily appeal to everyone, especially if one approaches movies as an escapist medium.

That said, I know several people who didn't like Lost in Translation, usually because a) nothing happens or b) it's about an older man and a younger woman.

Torgo said...

I didn't like it because I thought Bill Murray and Scarlett J. looked as bored as I was throughout the film. I love Murray, but all he does is mope in this one. It's like watching an interview with Sofia Coppola--I felt like I'd just taken a bunch of heavy sedatives.

Rainster said...

I never approach movies as an escapist medium. They're cultural products of a particular time and place, with a particular audience, and thereore can be mined for social relevance. That doesn't mean I have to like them, though!

My issue with Lost in Translation was really that it was too realistic --and reality is sometimes very boring! While there's no plot per se (IMO), there are a ton of snapshots of the characters in their various roles. All of which I can understand and analyze, but don't have to necessarily like.

I'm just stunned that Torgo and I agree about a movie!

fabulous girl said...

I quite liked it - not in my top 17, but it was good - although having spent a year in Japan helped. Sometimes I like movies where the ending is unclear - ever seen Limbo with David Strathairn? And for some reason the age difference didn't bother me ... this time.