Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Lambert and Logan

Typing this post happily from my new laptop. Now I can join the trendy hordes in coffee shops.

Am also typing happily from the never-humid region of the country. I escaped the Northeast just in time. If I could barely stand a normal east coast summer, I don't know what I'd do in extreme conditions.

As with most trips, there are small lessons to be learned amidst all the fun, revelry, and mischief-making.. Mine were all airport-related:

* There is an airline I will never fly again, due to delays all around, unmentioned itinerary changes, and really rude employees (not the plane crew, they were all great).

* If your carry-on luggage is a bag you haven't used since last October, check the side pockets before boarding the plane. You just might re-discover 3 articles of clothing you never knew you lost, but since they're "unmentionables," you can't explain your elated "Whoa, cool!" to your nosy seatmate.

* The St. Louis airport has better bookstores than JFK. Go figure.

* If you wander around JFK trying to find a biography of Eleanor of Aquitane, you might accidentally go past the "No Re-entry" zone and get yelled at by the security guards for trying to re-enter. (But since there were also cute Italian tourists trying to re-enter, it wasn't so bad.

* It is possible to outgrow getting sick on planes due to reading.

And the last lesson, which only dawned on me today, after noticing a certain recurring theme in all the photos:

* Make sure the other people in the picture knows it's a "crazy pose" shot, too.

8 comments:

Torgo said...

I've only found Jetblue and Southwest to have consistently friendly service. All the other major airlines seem to be full of bitter, angry employees.

Also, be careful you laptop doesn't burst into flames. That's been happening, apparently. (Although I'm writing this message on a Dell laptop now...)

Rainster said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rainster said...

Um, so you had me freaking out there for a minute. But according to TechNewsWorld.com, only 43 such incidents have occurred in the US since 2001.

There's always spontaneous combustion, too. A friend of mine did a book report in 5th grade on people who spontaneously combusted, and I was convince it would happen to me at any moment.

Torgo said...

43 computers bursting into flames seems low until you think about all the times where they've bursted into flames and the user has spontaneously combusted at the same time, thereby invalidating the data, lowering the flaming computer count, and losing another poor soul to a merciless killer.

This is hard science I'm talking about.

Rainster said...

I was a double-humanities major.

Anonymous said...

As a social science major now embroiled in the world of med school I highly recommend staying far away from anything called "hard science"! I'm so glad you had a good time in B-town! I wish I could have been there. Israel is a little hot... in several ways right now.

Xtina said...

i am definitely the type to go along with the "crazy face" too.

Rainster said...

Oh, I know!