Sunday, August 13, 2006

Pre-Magna Carta

One problem with being introduced to a book series with Book #3 and then going back and reading Books #1 and 2 is that you already know what happens, since in each book in a series the author tends to give a synopsis of the important developments from the previous books. But because you're addicted and need the escapism, you read them anyway.

So after the fiasco at at the St. Louis airport, I got re-hooked on medieval murder mysteries. (Originally addicted in high school, when my French teacher introduced me to the Brother Cadfael collection.)

Anyways, so now that I already know what happens to certain characters, reading the first two books is kind of anticlimactic. I already know the main plot twists as well as any character developments. So since I read #3 first, I already know that the detective's romantic interest in #1 turns out to be a spy and that the seige of the castle in 1193 in Book #2 turns up a double agent. (It's a little like watching Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom first and hating Kate Capshaw's character, and then watching Raiders of the Lost Ark and knowing Karen Allen is infinitely cooler, but that she doesn't make it to the next installment. Seriously, the women in Indy's life went downhill with every sequel. But I digress.)

Why do I always manage to find time to read fiction when I'm not in my home state?
At any rate, it's been years since I've spent a Saturday night engrossed in a made-up world until the wee hours of a Sunday.

And I still need to find a good bio of Eleanor of Aquitane!

8 comments:

Torgo said...

I don't have anything to add about medieval murder mysteries, but I definitely think while Karen Allen was the best Indiana Jones love interest, the woman from the third movie is far better than Kate Capshaw, despite being a Nazi. Yeah, that's right, better than Kate Capshaw, despite being a Nazi.

Xtina said...

aw, i loved kate capshaw! sure, the nazi lady was more cool, calm, and collected, and i can't even remember karen allen, but kate capshaw? splashing her hands in that big puddle, almost letting Indy die because she didn't want to touch bugs, all of her screeching? easily the most interesting of the ladies. t

Torgo said...

Can't remember Karen Allen? Are you kidding? She was the best!

Kate Capshaw just got the job b/c of Spielberg. Temple of Doom was all around the worst of the three.

Although, maybe it'll look good after part 4 comes out next year.

Rainster said...

Yeah, KA was the cool fiesty one who could fight and drink with the guys.

I have severe political issues with Temple of Doom, but at least Kate Capshaw had a personality, unlike the cold Nazi lady! (My favorite Indiana Jones scene, though, is in #3 when he's pretending to be a Scottish laird to get into the castle. Cracks me up every time.)

"Let it go, Torgo, let it go!"

Xtina said...

temple of doom was the only one we owned, so i've seen it about 6340 times. it holds a special place in my heart. "chilled...monkey...brains"

Rainster said...

Ah, got it. It's "The Great Escape" for me. One summer, we watched it every Friday.

Torgo said...

Ok, I've said this before, but it's worth repeating: "The Great Escape" is an awesome movie. I'd watch that once a week for years. It'd be better with Karen Allen, maybe, but just maybe.

Rainster said...

I have it memorized. Whenever one of us was grounded, we'd toss a baseball against a wall and pretend we were in the cooler. In band class, in my free time I figured out how to play the theme song on my flute. In three different keys.

With or without Karen Allen, it's awesome.