Friday, August 04, 2006

Quirky quirks

Weird movies are great to watch while unpacking and catching up on household chores. For some reason, the last three movies I've watched were kind of oddball. In each, one of the main characters had some weirdo flaw: Matchstick Men had the OCD character (the one my sisters claimed strangely resembled me), Punch-Drunk Love's Adam Sandler had behavioral issues as well, and Big Fish was basically the story of the maybe-tall tales of one person.

I think I liked MM best, just because I appreciate believeable plot twists at the end. The OCD kinship helped, of course. PDL I thought had very realistic and insightful scenes of sibling interactions. BF was the typical parent-child alienation-and-reconciliation-at-deathbed movie; but the colors and visuals were excellent. The two that take place in LA have particularly desolate character maps, but that could be either a coincidence or my own bias.

2 comments:

Torgo said...

I thought PDL was exactly how I'd imagine a Paul Thomas Anderson movie combined with an Adam Sandler movie to go. Definitely odd. Not bad, exactly, but odd. Somewhere between Magnolia and Happy Gilmore, almost too precisely.

Rainster said...

I threw the term out to describe more the social isolation and misunderstood experiences of the characters. And technically "weirdo flaw" and "flawed weirdo" are opposites!