Thursday, August 16, 2007

J'apprends parler une autre langue

I took French for five years in middle and high school, mainly to be rebellious because everyone around me spoke Spanish, and I didn't want 1) any help with homework and 2)to fit in. Ah, the foibles and stupidity of adolescence! Now that I've figured out Spanish is way more useful (for instance, in my past two jobs) and sounds way better with remixed techno dance music, French has actually served me well. I've always been able to get the gist of a conversation in Spanish by recognizing the Latin roots I learned in French.

Recently, I read about two BBC staffers who travelled around the U.S. speaking only Spanish. Personally, I think they chose a fairly easy route, going from Miami to LA and staying entirely in the southern half of the country. But nonetheless, they raised some interesting points. And one of these days, I'm going to try speaking only Spanish around the old neighborhood.

I've already had a bit of practice. Last weekend, on the way to brunch at Mica's for our ongoing Futurama-a-thon, I bought pastries from the locally renowned Salvadorean bakery a few blocks away from the house, and I was able to order and pay entirely in Spanish. ("Por favor, cuatro empanadas de guayaba. Y cuatro semitas de mango. Y cuatro pastels de arroz. " "De arroz?" "Si, arroz." "Seis trente." "Gracias!") It helped, of course, that the pastries were clearly labelled. And if our interaction had strayed beyond the standard how many/what/numbers/thank you routine, I would have been exposed as a total poser.

But I wasn't, so ha! No more complex about seeming like a snobby Latina who refuses to speak Spanish. Well okay, I'll probably always have that complex because people will always assume I'm Latina, which is their own fault and I shouldn't feel responsible for everyone else's ethnic preconceptions nor the American social structure that mandates cultural and linguistic assimilation, even if I do like to mischievously play up the cracks in those perceptions. But this was the first time I think I completely passed. Um, yay?

And the other day on the bus, when the driver asked everyone to close the windows so he could turn on the air conditioning, I was able to say "Por favor, la ventana" to another passenger when it became clear he didn't understand either the driver or the screaming old lady who kept saying "Close the window! The window! The...win... dow..." louder and slower with every scream. Of course, I and three other people were also gesticulating wildly and pointing to the window, but after he looked at me he closed the window. (I'm just glad I remembered the right word. At least I didn't accidentally say something like "Dude, the umbrella" or "Please, the shoe" or anything else that would have seemed totally random. ( Someone I know used to always say "Verde" all the time when he meant to say "Verdad," and I am admittedly so glad I didn't get the pitiable look that he always got.) Unfortunately, I don't do so well conjugating verbs, so the only imperative I had in my head was "Fermez," and I didn't want to assume the Spanish there was close to the French. (Turns out it isn't, it's cerrar, and I have no idea how to conjugate it. Yet.)

Can't speak in complete sentences. But one of these days...

No comments: