Monday, March 03, 2008

On another note...

Maybe I'm taking this too personally, because I've always immediately corrected people who mispronounce my name. I'll even interrupt them to do it. (So will Mi Hermana, with her own name, which is pronounced with the long vowel, but is fairly common with the short vowel. And an old friend of mine named Maria would always correct people's vowels and the R in her name...)

We'd been pronouncing the "I" in Nuestra Otra Hermana's husband's name as an "EE" sound. However, come to think of it, during their wedding when his family flew in, they pronounced it with a short "I" should (as in "if"), so that it rhymed with "Philly."

Perhaps I just need to shake off the mental shackles of rigidity (which are perhaps equally as imposed as foreign alphabets) and embrace cultural fluidity, Island-style.

So I guess I can call the new nephew about six different things, all of them correct.

No comments: