Tuesday, October 23, 2007

What's it all about?

The other movie we didn't end up watching last weekend was the 2004 remake of Alfie. I've never seen the original with Michael Caine, but on a purely superficial note, I'd prefer to see Jude Law in the title role.

I expected to hate the movie. (I should stop with the expectations going into movies, they haven't tended to be right lately.) While I didn't love it, or even really like it, it was decent. I thought it was going to be the overdone and highly unrealistic cad-finds-right-woman-and-settles-down story, but it wasn't. Whatever the original was like, I'm sure this version altered some of the subplots substantially -- I doubt that erectile dysfunction, abortion, and interracial relationships were part of the original script. (Or maybe they were, but I really don't feel like watching Michael Caine play a womanizer to find out! Aauugghh.) At any rate, Law was a great Alfie. The style of the movie fit well, too -- he talks directly at the camera half the time. Aside from that, though, there was no real insight into his character or behavior.

There were also some really good black and white stills at the end of the movie.

No comments: