Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Closure at the almost-four week mark

Breaking up with Mr. Coffee has been difficult. The fatigue and the early-morning prevalence of annoying people still hasn't gone away, as well as the heartache whenever I pass a coffee shop and get a whiff of java. Oh, the memories. The memories! Some of the morning grogginess can also be attributed to late nights and, uh, Christmas cheer, but the decaffeination doesn't help much.

But I finally took one of the next steps, and put Mr. Coffee on top of the fridge, with George Foreman. There's now a big, weird blank space on my kitchen counter where the coffeemaker, several pounds of coffee, and coffee filters used to be.

The coffeemaker, which was programmable, also happened to be my most reliable clock. The others, like the stove and the VCR, are always a little off. So now, in addition to the big white space on the counter (and in my heart), there's also a time warp in the house to deal with.

6 comments:

Xtina said...

can you have decaf?

Katie said...

Um... I forget. What is your purpose in giving up coffee? I'm all for people gaining control over out-of-control addictions, but giving up coffee only makes you a better person if you were spending too much money on lattes, or similar.

Torgo said...

xtina -- decaf has caffeine in it. with some brands, decaf has more than regular.

Rainster said...

I thought about "treating" myself to decaf a few times, but yeah, there is still caffeine in it.

There isn't really one reason for quitting, but one of the most tangible ones is the addiction. It's been my New Year's resolution to quit for the past couple of years, but the legislative session always starts in early Jan, and that's a terrible time to experiment with not having drugs. Last year after 3 weeks of cheating (didn't count the free bad office coffee), I cut it down to just drip coffee, but some drip actually has more caffeine than a latte.

Xtina said...

wait wait wait.
i guess i figured that decaf could have a bit of caffeine. but some brands having more than regular? does anyone else see the silliness in that?

Rainster said...

Madness.