Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Windstorm, the Windy City Gal, and the Granny

The recent windstorm left my sister without power on her birthday, so we had the celebrations in my little basement apartment (my neck of the woods was completely unaffected). She and my mom clung to the hope that power would return at any minute. In fact, they clung so tightly that they neglected to tell me they were spending the night until I thought they were leaving. They didn't even want to drive home for PJs, clothes, and a toothbrush, because the traffic lights weren't working on the Westside. So naturally I had an OCD freakout (my mom's classic parent-guilt response: "What do you mean you're not mentally prepared for us to spend the night? I'm your mother....") So stay they did.

Day two: mom and Joy were out doing things during the daylight. Instead of going to the gym, I mopped the floor, scrubbed the bathtub, bought groceries and toilet paper, washed their towels and blankets, and re-fluffed the couch pillows. Fully expected them to have to spend the night again. At the last minute and after three voicemails ("Meeting some friends for drinks, Mom, here's where I'll hide the key for you guys"), their power went back on and all that tub-scrubbing was for nothing.

My arms are still sore.

Well, but not for nothing. A friend from college is in town for two days for a medical residency interview at UW (Torgo, your old suitemate and Xtina, your current fellow Chicagoan). Mom took us out to the Thai restaurant that we impose on all family guests because it has a great view of the city. Had fun driving around and showing off the hometown. And I think I talked her into coming to karaoke tomorrow. Mwahaha.

Amid the guided tour, we're managing to catch up. I found out that my freshman roommate apparently got married and just had a baby. (We, uh, had extreme personality differences and so didn't communicate after freshman year. But Jackie, who lived with her after I did, is still on the email list, and got the flickr links. So I checked those out.) Anyways, it reminded me of the fact that one of my senior year flatmates just had a son, and another one just got married and so will probably have one soon. This means of the 5 people I lived with in college, 3 are married and 1 is partnered, and 2 have kids. Which is cool in terms of accumulating life experiences. But auuuugghhh! It also means that retirement is just around the corner!!!!

Good thing I started that IRA for my 25th birthday.

3 comments:

Colin said...

W00T! Karaoke! Let me know... :)

Anonymous said...

Tell her 'hi' for me.

People I lived with in college all seemed to disappear. The first two dropped out after a semester. The second went to Chile on a Mormon mission after freshman year and never returned to Maine.

The rest all graduated, but some were tenuous at best.

Katie said...

I hope you two had fun! Wish I could have been there... I'm down to counting minutes till I get to take off from the Mideast for the Northwest...also... "tenuous at best" Torgo? Geez!