Monday, February 27, 2006

Apologies to Archimedes...

...but give 3 JACLers a lever, and they can lock the office without a key.

The JACL office is not self-locking, so the last person to leave has to have a set of keys. Today's Civil Rights Committe meeting went really well. However, the last 3 people in the office after the meeting did not have keys. El Prez thought he'd have to stay in the office indefinitely, possibly all night, until another key-bearing board member could come and lock the door. But with the help of the newest (and particularly ingenius) member of the committee, we rigged a lever with a random metal stick and scotch tape. I have no idea where he found the metal stick. But we locked the door by sticking an arm through the mail slot, pushing the stick to lock the door, and ripping the scotch tape away so the metal stick fell to the floor. The next key-holder to open the door might wonder why there's a metal stick with tape on it lying on the floor, but at least no one had to sleep in the office.

Who says legislative dorks can't have fun?

5 comments:

Teman said...

By a strange coincidence, I picked a lock for the first time last night.

Mind you, it was one of those luggage locks, and I 'picked' it by jamming a couple computer screwdrivers in it, but I was pretty proud of myself.

Colin said...

In a similar vein (vain?) to Teman, I recently enjoyed my first padlock cracking experience... good times!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't have to sleep in there. That utility carpet isn't too comfy. I was thinking of picking the lock, but I've only managed to pick a 3-pin lock in the past and I don't know what in the office would make an efective pick. Hooray for creative committeemembers!

Xtina said...

dude, that's like modern day mcgyver! macguvyer? mcguyveer? whatever, it was cool.

Rainster said...

Should I be alarmed that I know this many people who've hacked their own locks?