Monday, February 20, 2006

La musica

Opted out of yoga tonight to reorganize one of my playlists (and also because it's hella cold outside...)

So I renamed my Patriarchy is Bad playlist; it's now Soul Sistahs, and I deleted a bunch of songs/artists in favor of what I thought were strong, pro-empowerment songs. But then I realized I was subconsciously misinterpreting loudness and powerful vocal chords as lyrical strength, and what I had was all R&B, which is pretty much what my Ridin' Down Delridge list is supposed to be. So then I went back and added all these other female artists that were quieter and didn't necessarily have a boppin' beat. And then I re-edited for lyrics that were sad or too mellow (that's what Tea on a Rainy Day is for...) It pained me, but the suffragette folk songs couldn't do double-duty and had to be relegated solely to Vive La Revolution (cuz the ol' rallying cry "Bread and Roses" doesn't really segue well with Alicia Keys, Melissa Etheridge, Lauryn Hill, or Jill Sobule).

And wow, that was addictive and took longer than I intended!

5 comments:

Xtina said...

dude, you're kind of serious about playlists...i kind of want to see what you have...also somewhere in my house in Boston is that mix tape you made for our trip to jeff's wedding. did you want that back?

Rainster said...

I think I pretty much recreated it from memory! =)

Torgo said...

This made me think of a time in the SOAR room at Colby where all the posterboard and paper had to be perfectly aligned with the edges of the table. You're the most organized revolutionary I know. Kind of like the Nation of Islam at Woodstock.

Anonymous said...

Definitely! After Ross sifted through all the books on your bookshelf during your housewarming party, I made him straighten all the books again! I have a great fear of being a source of disorder in your life... says the girl who made you postpone our lunch appointment again!

Rainster said...

Sigh... I don't really have a problem with general disorder in life, just clutter in my personal space!!! It's distracting! I can't have bright, shiny objects dangling in my face, either... short attention span. =)