Monday, February 06, 2006

Ma Vie en Rose

So I've decided to accept a few things:

1. I probably won't read the news, except local political stuff, until late March, maybe early April. Comics, advice columns, horoscopes, The Stranger, The Onion, Fark, The Morning News, and CNN or CSPAN headlines don't count as news. Neither does anything I get on a listserv. Or anything on the home page of the BBC.

2. During certain times of the year, there are very few days when I get home early enough to actually cook. Last leg session, I calculated it and between evening work commitments, volunteer evening commitments, and necessary social sanity breaks, I made it home before 10 on Fridays.... only Fridays. At least this year is a little different!

3. There have always been very few days when I get home early enough to actually cook or eat. In college, I ate late and had a ton of multitasking dinner meetings. What exactly has changed? (Well, breakfast has . . . I love making breakfast on the weekends.) And seriously, what would I do if I got home at 6?

4. If I'm going to have evening meetings, what better way to break the proverbial bread than with like-minded folks equally as committed to community-oriented work?

5. The folks at Pho Cyclo will already know my order when I walk in at 9:35pm.

3 comments:

Torgo said...

Where else do you get your news? I get most of mine from the comics. Have you been reading Boondocks this week? They've been talking about Al Sharpton criticizing the Boondocks tv show.

UW Nutrition said...

Mmm, I love Pho Cyclo. What's your order?

Rainster said...

My order at Pho Cyclo is #6 -- the beef and flank pho. I love mixing all the sauces to make the broth just right!

Sometimes I read the NYT, the Seattle Weekly, the Seattle P-I, sometimes the Seattle Times, Indymedia, sometimes I listen to NPR, sometimes I watch the Daily Show, and sometimes I watch one of the local broadcasts. There's no plan, really. Most of my news-gathering is haphazard.

I read the Boondocks religiously.