Thursday, February 16, 2006

Pages of books

I wish there were a Bookflix, like Netflix. Oh wait. I guess that's called the library, where they have twice shut down my account because of overdue fines. And my "queue" would be the piece of paper on my fridge with a list of books that I intend to read when I start reading again, sometime after the legislative session. Actually, right now there are several pieces of paper on my to-read list on my fridge. Which is not a good sign.

So now there's another title to add to my book queue, thanks to Torgo: poems of A.R. Ammons. They are short. I like short poetry. I think that's why I've always liked e e cummings, Emily Dickinson, and Carl Sandburg. And non-poets like Ernest Hemingway. Their work is to-the-point. It might also have something to do with a short attention span. Don't get me wrong, I like the prose-y, long, lyrical stuff too. (Sheesh, in middle school the security guard caught me in the faculty lounge, standing on a sofa reciting Byron.) And since I don't really like fiction, poetry is perfect because it's philosophy, art, and commentary all wrapped into one thing.

At any rate, I really liked "Their sex life," "Pebble's story," and "Pedagogy agog."

Maybe I should bump all the poetry and short stories to the top of my book queue. Scheduled shipping for mid-March.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

one time i was in the library and they wouldn't let me check out books because of other overdue books so i had my friend check them out for me (REAL subtle) and the librarian said "i hope you're not checking them out for that girl...she's VERY irresponsible."

UW Nutrition said...

Ooh--how high do your fines have to get before they shut down your account? I only have about $2 in fines right now, and they keep letting me check out books without asking for payment!

But I'd pay if I knew there were going to be definite consequences...

Rainster said...

It's $20, or at least it was back in college, when I accidentally took some books back to Maine.