Saturday, February 25, 2006

Girl Got Moves

In seventh grade, when Newsies came out, while my sisters were busy drooling over the movie's star Christian Bale, I was busy daydreaming about the brainy sidekick. (I love Newsies. I own it. Plus it's a musical, and I love those too. And it's kinda commie --if you consider workers' rights to be a commie pinko thing-- and that appealed even to the adolescent me.)

At any rate, all this is prelude to the fact that said childhood crush/co-star of Newsies is the evil corporate prick in Honey, which was on TV yesterday. When it came out in theatres, I thought it looked too much like Save the Last Dance, which I laughed and laughed and laughed at my sister for liking. But cable is a great way to watch (for free) movies you wouldn't be caught dead paying to see in public or arriving in your mailbox from Netflix.

I liked it. I thought it was cute. It was predictable, of course. But I'm easily seduced by a dance soundtrack, as well as a stay-true-to-your-roots theme. In other words, all the bootstrap-ideology / meritocracy stuff I don't believe.

This is what happens when I take a break from reading.

7 comments:

Xtina said...

don't get me STARTED on the love i have for newsies

Torgo said...

What's the deal with Newsies? Every time I see Christian Bale I think of American Psycho.

Xtina said...

the deal with newsies is its incredible awesomeness

or their incredibly bad new yawk accents.

or the way my heart swells when i hear "when you've got a hundred voices singing, who can hear one lousy whistle blow!"

Rainster said...

Really, for me it was all about the commie undertones... as a 12-year-old I thought it was cool how little kids were taking on the Pulitzer/Hearst figure. =)

"Now the world will hear what we got to say, we been hawkin' headlines but we're makin' 'em today ..." Awwww. So inspiring, the kiddies forming their own union.

Torgo said...

So is this kind of like a Michael Moore meets Mandy Moore kind of movie?

Rainster said...

More like Cesar Chavez meets West Side Story.

Xtina said...

without the torrid love affair.

unless you count "i'm just not use to whedder i stay or whedder i go madda to anybody...and i'm not sayin' it should madda to you. but does it?"