Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Thunder Rolls

Cleaning out my inbox, and came across a forward from a friend about Walmart and union workers. The union group that is running the alert uses GetActive, a sytem which I liked and miss but have to forget and move on.

So now "I've Got Friends in Low Places" is stuck in my head....

And speaking of workers' rights, I finally got around to watching The 40-Year-Old Virgin last night. It got rave reviews from most people I know. It was a cute premise. But I didn't like it. I didn't hate it, either, per se.

I guess the one scene I couldn't get beyond was the waxing scene. If Steve Carell's supposed to be such a nice guy, why was he screaming obsenities at the poor (Asian, btw) lady who was waxing his chest? Nonstop. Dude, it was your choice to get waxed, it's not her fault, don't call her names. She's just the worker. It irritated me.

But I really liked the Paul Rudd character...

4 comments:

Torgo said...

That waxing scene was real, real wax, real hair, real profanity (improv-ed). Speaking for the hairy-chested people of the world, I think I, too, would scream obscenities at someone doing that to me, even if I paid to have it done, which I wouldn't, incidentally, because not only is it wrong to say such things, but it'd hurt like hell too, I think.

I liked how Paul Rudd's "stalkee" was Indian, speaking of race (as you were, not me, I was speaking of hair). Like on "Lost," when Bernard turned out to be white. It wasn't an issue any spoke about, but was a nice example of an interracial couple that doesn't become "Jungle Fever."

Rainster said...

Yeah, I liked that little surprise about Amy's character too.

But speaking as someone who does go to salons for wax jobs (see an old post for reference), you curse and scream general obscenities, but don't directly look at the person and call them names. That's just rude. And I kept thinking of my mom, another little Asian lady who would get yelled at and called names as a bank teller by someone didn't have enough money in their own account.
Maybe I'm just extra defensive about Asian ladies, but Steve Carell lost my sympathy from that scene.

I haven't seen Jungle Fever. But I'll put it in my Netflix queue! I don't like reading during legislative session, so I'm catching up on all the movies I've never seen.

Torgo said...

Speaking of Spike Lee movies with interracial couples, did you see "25th Hour"? That's my favorite of his movies. It's not really about race at all, but Edward Norton and Rosario Dawson are a couple in it. Philip Seymour Hoffman is also excellent in it. I think it ends better than most of his movies, which usually dissolve into terrible endings ("Bamboozled," "Jungle Fever," the list goes on...)

Rainster said...

Nice! Another Netflix addition!