Friday, February 10, 2006

But my favorite dance hit is "Sandstorm"!

A friend directed me to this site, which tells you what song was #1 on the US and UK charts the day you were born. It's a nice little diversion.

For me it was Blondie's "Heart of Glass" in the US and Art Garfunkel's "Bright Eyes" in the UK.

But (and I find this arbitrary yet sociologically fascinating), the site tells people born before 1952 and 1955, when pop charts began in Britain and the US, respectively, to try for their "life's theme song which is the No.1 on your 18th birthday."

So apparently my life's theme song would be...
  • according to American sales: "Can't Nobody Hold Me Down," Puff Daddy (featuring Mase)
  • according to British sales: "I Believe I Can Fly," R Kelly
Who knew capitalism was so astrological? And here I was hoping for "Barbie Girl..."

7 comments:

Torgo said...

Ok, I got "I will survive" by Gloria Gaynor and "Tragedy" by the Bee Gees for my birthday, and "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls and "Who do you think you are / Mama" by the Spice Girls for my 18th. I don't like that at all.

Micaela said...

Day I was born songs:
"Upside Down" Diana Ross
"Don't Stand So Close to Me" The Police

18th Birthday
"I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" Aerosmith
"I Want you Back" Melanie B feat. Missy Elliot.

I have to go hit up limewire now. Upside down is at least a good song, but Aerosmith?! Am I going to die of angst or something?

Colin said...

Day I was born:
Name of the Game - ABBA (UK)
You Light Up My Life - Debby Boone (US)

18th Birthday:
I Believe / Up On The Roof - Robson & Jerome (UK)
Exhale (Shoop Shoop) - Whitney Houston (US)

Wow. That's really miserable.

Anonymous said...

Day I was born:
Shadow Dancing -- Andy Gibb

Theme Song:
Wannabe -- Spice Girls
You're Making Me High -- Toni Braxton.

your songs were cooler. also, Wannabe apparently was popular for like two years if torgo and i both got it.

Torgo said...

My "Wannabe" was in the U.S. Maybe Christina's was in Britain.

But I had to go to my 7th birthday for a good song- "Sara" by Starship. I also found Janet Jackson's "Escapade" on my 11th.

Then there was a whole bunch of signs indicating the #1 songs tend to be just lousy songs. Other years were: "Informer" by Snow, "The Sign" by Ace of Base, "Lost In Your Eyes" by Debbie Gibson, "Everything I Own" by Boy George ... ok, too much time on this.

Rainster said...

I still think the 18th b-day thing is so arbitrary and strange.

Anonymous said...

um...informer was art...i learned to sing it phonetically.